MeterMost environmental toxins are invisible. You can’t see if there really is fluoride in your drinking water, or isotopes in your fish fillet, asbestos in your baby’s talcum powder, or glyphosate residue in your salad. So you assume the worst and do all you can to mitigate the risk whilst hoping for the best. With the invisible fields connected to appliances, wiring, smart meters, phones, computers, transmission towers, antennas and so on – it is impossible to know for sure what’s going on unless you are hyper-sensitive to such fields – or unless you have a meter that measures such things.

I chose to purchase one that is highly recommended [Link here ]. It’s not too cheap, nor too expensive. It is easy to use. I can now ‘see’ what is going on with a mobile phone, with the neighbor’s wifi, with the various computers that I have, with various appliances. There is a very visible scale that show a green light area for ‘safe’, an amber light area for ‘watch out/take care’, and a red light area for ‘this isn’t at all good/do something!’. There is also a measurement display that shows the amount of radio-frequency (microwave), magnetic field activity, and electric field activity. Each of these three sets of phenomena have their safe, caution, and danger zones – all clearly visible and measured with this meter. So now I can see what is really going on.

At a friend’s home recently I did a quick check and found that, even though the wifi is left on 24/7, the most critically dangerous reading came off his house phone. It is the type that so many have these days – you plug in the electrically powered base station, and the handset is able to be recharged whilst sitting in the base station which itself is plugged into the phone line. The handset can be used anywhere in the house and outside in the yard or the garden of a normal sized home. Most people use these phones for longer calls than their mobile phone because the connection is directly to the landline. Because the amount of radiation isn’t visible, the handset is used up against the head for the duration of the call. Some have a speaker/microphone, so some distance can be obtained away from the antenna – but probably not enough to get out of the ‘red zone’. My impression is that short burst use of a mobile/cell phone fitted with an air-tube earphone/speaker system is a safer alternative than the DECT phone described above. Of course, the corded landline phone is absolutely safe and should be preferred at all times where they are available.

One other thing that surprised me was that the keyboard area on my main-use laptop registered a very high magnetic field. This has been countered with purchase of an old style clunky usb-connected separate keyboard. Not so nice to use – but safer. I also found that one of my older laptops (2012) gave off a very strong electric field. I turned it off immediately! The touch reading lamp by my bed gave off a strong magnetic field. That has now been replaced by a normal on/off switch lamp.

When I next buy a laptop I’ll be taking my meter with me!

Please note: The next blog will be in mid-January (unless something particularly important comes up). Readers in the South please have a great Christmas-Summer break. Those in the North – have a similarly great Christmas and keep nice and warm!